So I am all alone the next few days. Brian is at a business conference out of state – so what’s a boy to do? Well, laundry, clean and of course, blog. It’s unusual that I have beef in the house, so I decided to use it. It was cab steak (bottom round) and I had only 6 ounce. Since the recipe I wanted to create only needed 4 oz…well, let’s just say our pooch had a special treat in her dinner…
One thing I enjoyed growing up was beef stroganoff. The creaminess, the butter, the egg noodles…nom nom! But, it’s never something I thought I would recreate to be healthier. Now, if I had wheat egg noodles, I may have used them – but instead had Ronzoni Smart Taste Rotini pasta…so that’s what is in here. I have also taken photos of the whole process. So here it is (and yes, this recipe makes 1 serving!):
A New Beef Stroganoff
Makes 1 serving
4 oz Beef (Top Round Steak) cut up into bite sized pieces
3/4 cup Onions, sliced
5 medium sized mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Milk (1%, low fat milk)
1 tbsp Flour
1/3 cup water (or white wine if you’re feeling adventurous!)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp low fat Greek Style yogurt
1 cup cooked Ronzoni Smart Taste Rotini Noodles
Method of Preparation
- Cook pasta according to package; drain and set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan on high with olive oil
- Brown beef for 3 – 4 minutes; remove
- Add in onions & mushrooms and sauté for 3 – 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (if desired), and the cayenne and nutmeg. Deglaze the pan with water (or wine) and let cook 1 minute more.
- Whisk together milk & flour and add to onions & mushrooms. Stir until thickened – reduce to simmer.
- Add in beef and pasta; stir in yogurt. Serve hot.
Fat: 16 g
Sat. Fat: 3.9 g
Poly Fat: 1.7g
Mono Fat: 8.1 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 139 mg
Potassium: 1053 mg
Carbohydrates: 67 g
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 10.5 g
Protein: 43.4 g
For now, stay healthy.